Friday, October 24, 2008

Fish Head Dishes

Anyone fancy fish head? Can be done in many ways;

Steamed - with black bean sauce, with garlic and ginger, nyonya style (hot and sour) , tom yam style...

Braised - with special homemade sauce and dried chillies...

Curry Fish head - Indian style, Chinese Style, Nyonya Style...

This time I went to Chan Sow Lin, Jalan 3 to have steam fish head. Coming from PJ, I took the Sg. Besi old airport road and make a U-turn to Jalan Chan Sow Lin. Just follow the Chan Sow Lin signboard and you wont go wrong. It's the same row as Auto Bavaria Motor Centre, on your left. Once you're on Jalan Chan Sow Lin, just look for Jalan Tiga. I'm not sure if this stall is the famous one that everybody talked about but looking at the crowd that's already there when I arrived (11:40am) I guess I couldn't be so wrong, right? And the signboard says "ORIGINAL" mah.



They only have 2 styles, steamed with black bean and steam with ginger and garlic. Of course I tried both.




The fish head is very fresh (no fishy smell and no muddy taste). Steamed to perfection, well done but smooth. Both sauce are hot, they put in chilli padi. So if you're not a chilli eater, be extra careful.

I personally prefer the ginger and garlic sauce, simple and nice. You get a better taste of the fish. Oh, and they also put wine into this sauce so it makes it aromatic.

The black bean sauce may look plain but they are actually a speacial formulated sauce which I think is the secret recipe of the owner. I'm not going to tell you how to make this sauce as this is my family's secret recipe also. All I can say is that both taste exactly the same!

Well, I had a hearty meal that day. Really nice and for RM18 per fish head I guessed the price is quite reasonable. Only thing is, the sauce is a bit sweet to my taste other than this it's perfecto!

Even if this is not the actual 'Chan Sow Lin' stall which I heard of, it is still worth a try!

No comments: